BIG barge on the river
This barge came right behind our campsite. It was surreal watching this big long boat cruise so close to us down this small, lazy river. I copied this from Google :
These diesel-powered tugs push heavy cargo barges up and down the river and through the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway, moving bulk commodities like coal, grain, and petroleum products. During the 1800s, shallow-draft wooden steamboats dominated the river, transporting cotton down to Mobile and returning with manufactured goods. Before steamboats became common, early settlers and traders used flat-bottomed keelboats and flatboats that drifted downstream with the current.
These diesel-powered tugs push heavy cargo barges up and down the river and through the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway, moving bulk commodities like coal, grain, and petroleum products. During the 1800s, shallow-draft wooden steamboats dominated the river, transporting cotton down to Mobile and returning with manufactured goods. Before steamboats became common, early settlers and traders used flat-bottomed keelboats and flatboats that drifted downstream with the current.
In other news: I did get up and go hiking this morning. John decided to stay back so I went by myself.
Unfortunately, this trail hasn’t been used in a long while and after I walked through about the third huge spiderweb stretched directly across the trail, (they were very hard to see) I decided it wasn’t a good place for a nice hike. I didn’t want to keep tearing down those beautiful spiderwebs….with my face
Good girl for trying!!
ReplyDeleteThat’s what I thought 😋
DeleteYou could fit cars on that Barge!
ReplyDelete